Kerosene heater to blame Ardsley Park house fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Kerosene heater to blame house fire

Posted: Updated:
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

Savannah Fire and Emergency Services said that a space heater caused a house fire mid-afternoon Thursday in the Ardsley Park area.

Savannah firefighters were dispatched at about 3:30 p.m. to a one-story, wood house on East 49th Street.

Firefighters saw smoke in the area as they arrived and found the entire back of the home engulfed in flames, according to SFES.  

Firefighters contained the fire damage to the enclosed back porch. The main area of the house and attic sustained smoke and some water damage.

No one was home at the time. No one was injured.

Investigators have determined that an unattended kerosene space heater caused the fire. Investigators said the heater was left on near flammable materials, according to SFES.

One person was displaced as a result of the fire.

SFES warns homeowners to space heaters for only short periods of time. They urge people to keep space heaters at least three feet from anything that could potentially burn and to never leave space them unattended.

Never use any fuel-powered heating device inside a closed structure, according to SFES. They are a safety threat and emit carbon monoxide.

SFES offers free smoke detectors and installation for homeowners who live within the city of Savannah. They'll also perform home safety checks to help minimize fire dangers in the home. Call Savannah Fire & Emergency Services at 912.651.6756 to schedule an appointment.

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow