Woman recalls suspect driving off in SCMPD car - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Witness recalls suspect taking off in SCMPD car

Rosalie Quinones Rosalie Quinones

A woman was in the area of 42nd and Burroughs streets on Wednesday night when she saw a man take a police car.

Rosalie Quinones moved to Savannah from Brooklyn, NY, expecting a slower pace of life.

Anthony B. Parrish Jr., 21, was charged Wednesday with the Feb. 24 death of Marray Martin. That's when Savannah-Chatham Metro Police were looking for him.

SCMPD Central Precinct Crime Suppression and TRAP Units were searching for Parrish in the Cuyler-Brownsville neighborhood.

Police said that at about 6:35 p.m. Wednesday, Parrish and Nathaniel Johnson stole a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu at gunpoint across town in the 800 block of West 33rd Street.

Police spotted the stolen car and followed it to West 40th and Burroughs streets. Police said Parrish and Johnson got out of the car and ran in different directions.

Quinones was sitting in an SUV in front of her home on West 42nd Street. She saw the Malibu pull up.

"I guess the stolen car stopped right here, and the cops tried to block them off and the two guys ran out," she said.

She watched two officers jump out of their patrol cars and take off after the suspects. She jumped out of her own car to see what was going on. She said the suspects split up.

She said that one man ran behind the abandoned building. "The cops chased him. The other guy jumped in the cop car and he went flying. Six cars went after him - flying and flying and flying. It was just zooming. I guess they were going 100 speed miles. I don't know. It was just crazy," she said.

The chase zoomed right by Quinones. She had to jump out of the road to get out of the way. She said the police car's engine was running when it was stolen.

While officers chased the stolen patrol car, several more police arrived to search for Johnson. Their search centered on an abandoned house, right across the street from Quinones' apartment.

She said started searching and searching and searching for hours.

Police chased the stolen cruiser east on 37th Street until Parrish turned into oncoming traffic and drove west onto the I-16 connector and the interstate.

Police put down tire spikes to stop him. He ran off the road into the woods between the Interstate 516 and Chatham Parkway exits in order to avoid the tire spikes.

Parrish got out of the car and started shooting and officers fired back at him, according to SCMPD. Patrol officer Rebekah Gregory was shot in the leg and her finger was injured. Police said her cell phone deflected the bullet that struck her leg.

Parrish and Gregory were taken to Memorial University Medical Center. They were treated for non-life-threatening injuries and released.

Parrish is also charged with hijacking a motor vehicle, armed robbery, two counts of aggravated assault, aggravated assault on a police officer, theft by taking, criminal attempt and criminal attempt at murder, possession of a firearm in committing a crime and fleeing to elude police officers.

SCMPD and U.S. Marshals arrested Johnson in Frazier Homes about 10:30 a.m. He was hiding out in an apartment with a woman and her two small children, according to the U.S. Marshals Service. He has been charged with being party to the crime of murder, party to the crime of aggravated assault, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession of a firearm in the commission of a crime. Those are on top of his charges from Wednesday's incident: possession of a firearm in commission of a crime; armed robbery; aggravated assault and hijacking a motor vehicle.

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

SCMPD crash, chase

Click here for more details on the chase and shooting. More>>

Powered by Frankly