Soda machine causes CO2 leak, evacuation - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Soda machine causes CO2 leak, evacuation

Posted: Updated:
POOLER, GA (WTOC) -

A soda machine causes a carbon dioxide leak in downtown Pooler, sound familiar?

Luckily, this time, no one was hurt, when employees at the Shell Station at the intersection of U.S. 80 and Skinner Avenue reported a strange smell and burning eyes.

Pooler Fire Lt. Scott Sapp says firefighters arrived to find high CO2 levels and traced it to a soda machine.

"It was really bad," Sapp said. "It's burn your eyes if you walked inside."

Sapp said that if the problem occurs again, Pooler Fire likely will shut the store down.

They aren't taking any chances after Anne Felton, 80, died in the bathroom of the McDonald's on U.S. 80 less than a mile away. That death happened in September 2011 and was traced to a carbon dioxide leak from a soda machine.

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow