Trash fire gets out of control - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Trash fire gets out of control

Posted: Updated:
Fire on Little Neck Road Fire on Little Neck Road
CHATHAM CO., GA (WTOC) -

A fire was caused in Chatham County by a woman burning trash on Little Neck Road Wednesday evening.

The wind picked up, spreading the flames out of control, endangering a few buildings. Southside Fire came to the rescue and put the fire out.

"Our biggest concern was when we first pulled up, there was a large volume of fire running across these yards and fields and because of that and the wind, it was pushing it into the structures. Our first concern was to stop the fire from getting to those structures because we can let the yard debris burn but we got to save the structures from burning down and our guys immediately jumped on that and got that taken care of," said Assistant Fire Chief Hugh Futrell of Southside Fire/EMS.

One house was scorched. Firefighters say the woman did not have a burning permit, which is required.

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow