SCLC demands answers in death of 8-year-old - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

SCLC demands answers in death of 8-year-old

Source: Nick Lulli (WFXG FOX54) Source: Nick Lulli (WFXG FOX54)


The SCLC set up in Augusta Thursday morning in support of Jeannette Stevens. Stevens is requesting more information in the death of her 8 year old son, Jon Stevens, who drowned in a neighbor's pool in April.

"We are investigating this tragic death," says Charles Steele, SCLC CEO. "We feel that justice is not being served.  The job of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, in the spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King, is to bring out the truth because a threat to justice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.  The SCLC National office is firmly in support of Jeanette Stevens and her grieving family."

We will have more from today's news conference coming up tonight on FOX54 News at 10pm.


It was a month ago today, when Jeanette Stevens discovered her youngest son dead at a neighbor's house. She was told his death was accidental but with so many unanswered questions, she is pleading with the Richmond County Sheriff's Office to take a reopen the case.

Attempting to fight her tears, Stevens said she wants answers about the death of her son Jon Stevens. She said she is being ignored.

"They have taken my baby from me and I have no answers as to why my baby is gone," Stevens said. "As a mother it hurts really bad to know they are just brushing off my son's death and it's not fair."

A Richmond County incident report says Jon's death was an accident but Stevens is not convinced.

"I know this isn't an accident because Jon didn't even like water," said Stevens.

To make matters worse for the distraught mother, a 3-month backlog of autopsies at the GBI crime lab could postpone any closure she receives.

Grover Tuten, the Richmond County coroner, said an autopsy may not be available until August.

"We submitted the body to the bureau for a post-mortem examination," Tuten said. "They conducted an autopsy and the results of the autopsy are not available at this time."

Stevens last saw her son alive around 3 in the afternoon on April 13. Jon went to a house across the street to play with a friend. It is unclear what happened next but Stevens said an investigator didn't have many answers.

"She said that the boys were cleaning the pool and digging for rocks and Jon must have fallen in," said Stevens. "I asked her did they abruptly stop cleaning the pool? Did they not see a boy's body in the bottom of the pool? She had no answers for that."

Richmond County investigators have confirmed they have interviewed all those who were with Jon separately and had consistent stories but the family disagreed. They claimed stories have changed several times. 

Stevens believes her son Jon was murdered.

"I think someone pushed Jon in," said Stevens. 

The Stevens family will hold a press conference with the Southern Christian Leadership Conference to gain community support on Thursday. Details below.

Date:  May 16, 2013

Time:  11 a.m.

Location: Augusta Richmond County Judicial Center

735 James Brown Blvd

Augusta, GA 30901

Powered by Frankly