Savannah firefighters now know what caused last week's fatal fire on East Charlton Lane. They say a cigarette started the fire.
Around 4am last Thursday morning, someone spotted smoke and flames coming from Jane Thurber's apartment. Firefighters quickly went to work battling the flames. They found the 20-year-old college student unconscious in her bedroom.
They brought her out and started CPR, but it was too late.
The United States Fire Administration says careless smoking is the leading cause of fire-related deaths in America.