5-year-old ignites home with lighter - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

5-year-old ignites home with lighter

Posted: Updated:
CANTON, GA (CBS46) -

A close call for a Canton family Thursday after a 5-year-old started a fire with a lighter in the home.

Firefighters were called to 34 Blake Dr. around 2 p.m. Thursday. They found heavy smoke coming from the two-story Copper Hills Subdivision home.

Shane Daniel, the grandson of the homeowners, started the fire in his bedroom closet with a cigarette lighter according to Cherokee County Fire Investigator. The little boy came screaming out of his room that the house was on fire, alerting others in the home.

His grandmother told fire investigators that they called the fire department after she threw a bucket of water on the fire, but it did not do douse the flames.

Water, smoke and fire damaged the home. There were no injuries.

Copyright 2013 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow