Man pulled from burning home in Port Wentworth - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Man pulled from burning home

Posted: Updated:
A man is pulled from a burning home in Port Wentworth. A man is pulled from a burning home in Port Wentworth.
PORT WENTWORTH, GA (WTOC) -

A man was rushed to the hospital Wednesday after firefighters pulled him from a burning house on Crossgate Road in Port Wentworth. 

It happened just before 9 a.m. Crews arrived to find heavy smoke and flames pouring out of the house. They say Stanley Beasley, 60, was bound to a wheelchair and sustained heavy smoke inhalation.

"We had one entrapped. Port Wentworth crews were able to make a rescue, resuscitate the victim. He is in critical condition [and] on the way to the hospital now," said Chief Ashley Field, of the Port Wentworth Fire Dept.

Beasley was transported to Memorial and later flown to the Augusta Burn Center.

Neighbors say they are in shock. Lisa Upton woke up to find Beasley's home in flames.

"It was already so engulfed with flames and smoke. I was just really scared he wasn't going to be able to get out," said Upton.

Upton says she feared for Beasley's life, especially because of recent health issues.

"I really don't see him out much anymore just because of his disability and stuff. He is a pretty quiet gentleman," said Upton.

According to authorities, the cause of the fire was accidental. They say careless use of smoking while oxygen was in use caused the blaze. Beasley uses an oxygen tank and is a smoker. He is also disabled.

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow