Castro has been declared competent to stand trial - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Castro has been declared competent to stand trial

Ariel Castro in court on kidnapping, rape charges Ariel Castro in court on kidnapping, rape charges

A ruling has been made on the competency of accused rapist and kidnapper, Ariel Castro.

The judge announced this morning in court, Castro is competent to stand trial.

Last week, a judge ordered a competency evaluation for the man suspected of kidnapping three women and holding them captive for years in Cleveland.

Castro was evaluated by the Court Psychiatric Clinic inside the Justice Center.

Sometimes, inmates get sent out to a psychiatric hospital for evaluations, but that was not done in Castro's case.

Castro is accused of kidnapping Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight and holding them captive for ten years.

During the pre-trial hearing, Castro requested jail visits from his children. 

The judge said he would consider.

Before the hearing wrapped up, Castro requested jail visits specifically from his six-year-old daughter.

The judge denied the request.  "I will not be allowing that.  I think that will be inappropriate," said Judge Michael Russo.

DNA tests confirmed Castro is the father of Amanda Berry's six-year-old daughter.

Evidence is still being gathered in this case.

Castro has been hit with nearly 330 charges.

He's been sitting in jail since May 6, the day the women were rescued from his home on Seymour Avenue in Cleveland.

Castro is jailed on $8 million.

Trial is expected in August.

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • NewsNewsMore>>

  • 79-year-old carries out lifelong dream of launching self-made craft

    79-year-old carries out lifelong dream of launching self-made craft

    Saturday, April 21 2018 11:29 PM EDT2018-04-22 03:29:09 GMT
    (Source: WTOC)(Source: WTOC)
    (Source: WTOC)(Source: WTOC)
    It's a boat launch that's been years in the making. Phillip Carter has been building a boat by hand for the past 20 years. The beautiful, handmade troller was put into the water for the first time on Saturday afternoon. His lifelong dream was to complete the boat, a goal he reached just 5 days after his 79th birthday. In the past 10 years he has had 2 open heart surgeries to recover from, making the day even more special for his family. "It means a lot," said Carter'...More >>
    It's a boat launch that's been years in the making. Phillip Carter has been building a boat by hand for the past 20 years. The beautiful, handmade troller was put into the water for the first time on Saturday afternoon. His lifelong dream was to complete the boat, a goal he reached just 5 days after his 79th birthday. In the past 10 years he has had 2 open heart surgeries to recover from, making the day even more special for his family. "It means a lot," said Carter'...More >>
  • 100 Black Men of Savannah hold annual fundraising gala

    100 Black Men of Savannah hold annual fundraising gala

    Saturday, April 21 2018 11:21 PM EDT2018-04-22 03:21:59 GMT
    (Source: WTOC)(Source: WTOC)
    (Source: WTOC)(Source: WTOC)
    The 100 Black Men of Savannah hosted their 22nd annual gala honoring prominent people in the community while also raising money for a good cause. The group decked out the Savannah Marriott Riverfront for the black-tie event. This is the group's sole fundraiser for the year, using the funds they get during the gala to help support scholarships, along with mentoring, volunteer work, and summer camps.  Saturday saw the group recognizing mentors who have gone above and be...More >>
    The 100 Black Men of Savannah hosted their 22nd annual gala honoring prominent people in the community while also raising money for a good cause. The group decked out the Savannah Marriott Riverfront for the black-tie event. This is the group's sole fundraiser for the year, using the funds they get during the gala to help support scholarships, along with mentoring, volunteer work, and summer camps.  Saturday saw the group recognizing mentors who have gone above and be...More >>
  • Alcohol ban continues through Orange Crush weekend

    Alcohol ban continues through Orange Crush weekend

    Saturday, April 21 2018 11:03 PM EDT2018-04-22 03:03:52 GMT
    (SOurce: WTOC)(SOurce: WTOC)
    (SOurce: WTOC)(SOurce: WTOC)

    Orange Crush 2018 is in full effect this weekend, but so is the alcohol ban across Tybee Island. Law enforcement has been preparing for this huge annual event for some time. Patrol cars were lined up along Highway 80 as a cautionary measure to deter drinking and driving. Tybee police say they haven't made any arrests on Saturday, and many partygoers say they are aware of the alcohol ban and are abiding by it.  "So far, most folks are well behaved," said Tybe...

    More >>

    Orange Crush 2018 is in full effect this weekend, but so is the alcohol ban across Tybee Island. Law enforcement has been preparing for this huge annual event for some time. Patrol cars were lined up along Highway 80 as a cautionary measure to deter drinking and driving. Tybee police say they haven't made any arrests on Saturday, and many partygoers say they are aware of the alcohol ban and are abiding by it.  "So far, most folks are well behaved," said Tybe...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly