Firefighters respond to Beaufort garage fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Firefighters respond to garage fire in Beaufort

Posted: Updated:
Source: Beaufort Fire Department Source: Beaufort Fire Department

Two homes threatened by a garage fire were saved Monday afternoon due to quick action by Beaufort-Port Royal firefighters.

According to authorities, a resident of the house in the 1700 block of Aster Street was treated by Beaufort County EMS for burns to his hands suffered when a refrigerator in the garage caught fire.

Beaufort-Port Royal firefighters responded to Aster Street in the Waddell Gardens neighborhood of Beaufort at 3:30 p.m. When firefighters arrived, they found the garage engulfed by fire. Firefighters say the home in front of the garage and a neighboring house were in danger of catching fire.

"The fire was so hot it had already partially melted a boat and two cars and had ignited all the nearby trees," Beaufort Fire Chief Sammy Negron said in a press release. "Without quick actions, we could have seen serious property damage in the neighborhood."

Fire crews quickly began spraying water on the two homes, while other fire crews and Beaufort police searched for the occupant. Firefighters were able to push the fire away from the homes in seconds, leaving only minor damage.

Authorities found the home's occupant in the back yard and moved him to safety.

According to Negron, after the critical issues were address, firefighters gained control of the garage fire in about six minutes.

Beaufort-Port Royal firefighters, with assistance from the Burton Fire District, continued to extinguish the hot spots for the next two hours. No emergency responders were injured.

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow