Girls still in critical condition after East DeRenne Ave. house fire
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -
Two Savannah girls, ages 6 and 13, are still in critical condition at Memorial University Medical Center after a fire Sunday afternoon at their Kensington Park home.
The girls were pulled from a smoke-filled bedroom by Savannah firefighters after the one-story brick house on East DeRenne Avenue erupted in flames just after 2 p.m., according to Savannah Fire and Emergency Services.
The children were taken Memorial, where they remain in the pediatric ICU. A third child got out of the burning house before firefighters arrived.
Savannah firefighters encountered heavy smoke and flames shooting from the roof of the house when they arrived. The fire was so intense that more resources and personnel were called to help fight the blaze.
The fast-moving flames that consumed the back of the home made for difficult conditions for the firefighters to find the children. Firefighters located in a front bedroom and removed from the home through a side window.
The blaze caused extensive damage to the house. Investigators say evidence indicates the fire originated in the clothes dryer. The flames traveled up a wall and into the attic.
Chatham County Red Cross are helping relatives of a family whose two children were hospitalized.
The family has received funds for food and replacement clothing. The family is staying with other relatives and more needs will be assessed in the next few days, such as finding a replacement residence.
Licensed mental health volunteers with the Red Cross and volunteers who provide spiritual counseling are also with family members.
Savannah firefighters remind residents of the dangers associated with clothes dryers and issued these safety tips:
Ensure the dryer's lint filter is cleaned before and after each load of clothes.
Make sure the air exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap will open when the dryer is operating. Once a year, or more often if you notice that it is taking longer than normal for your clothes to dry, clean lint out of the vent pipe or have a dryer lint removal service do it for you.
Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to make sure that the gas line and connection are intact and free of leaks.
Keep the area around your dryer clearof things that can burn, like boxes, cleaning supplies and clothing, etc.