SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Nearly a thousand people were evacuated during a state swim meet at the Chatham County Aquatic Center Saturday afternoon.
Hazmat responded around 12:30 p.m. after it was reported that a strong chemical smell was causing people's eyes to burn. Crews tested for high chlorine levels but determined the building was safe.
"We went in and did our systematic air quality checks, water quality check, and a comprehensive check of the entire facility. No elevated levels of anything were found," said Savannah Fire Public Information Officer Mark Kelly.
The aquatic center was only closed for about an hour and reopened at 1:30 p.m.