AFD battles house fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

AFD battles house fire


Officers of the Albany Fire Department put out a house fire at 1309 West 4th Avenue, on Albany's west side.

Albany Fire crews responded around 8:40 this morning after the resident made the call.

The blaze was ignited by a candle left burning near the bed. Fire officials say there is about 8,000 dollars worth of damage.

When the resident came home, she saw smoke coming from her apartment. She quickly grabbed a garden house and sprayed through a window.

Fire officials say her quick reaction likely contained the blaze enough before it caused any serious damage.

"The candle somehow got turned over and caught some bedding and things on fire," said Captain John Beamon, Albany Fire Department. "She returned and used a garden hose to do an actually pretty effective job of extinguishing some of the fire and called the fire department."

 The apartment is still in livable condition.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly