TYBEE ISLAND, GA (WTOC) - After hitting a roadblock last week, it is now smooth sailing for Spongebob the Sequel producers on Tybee Island.
Producers were back in front of Tybee City Council on Tuesday night after councilmembers delayed a decision on a permit to allow production on the island last Thursday. Businesses raised concerns about the impact filming would have on them, and residents had similar concerns as well as worries about sea turtle safety.
After face-to-face meetings with businesses over the weekend, producers were granted the permits Tuesday night. Production is scheduled to begin Sept. 30 on south Tybee beach near the pier.
Mayor Jason Buelterman told WTOC businesses were assured there would be no impact on them, and if there was, they would be compensated. He said it was important everyone was on the same page and was happy that the extra few days was not a big deal in accomplishing that goal.