ATLANTA (WTOC) - As low temperatures hit the area, the Georgia Emergency Management Agency's Ready Georgia campaign reminds residents about planning for winter weather.
GEMA offered these tips:
- Put together a kit of emergency supplies for your home and car. Include warm clothing and blankets.
- Put weather stripping around doors and windows. Allow faucets to drip during cold weather to prevent freezing.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to pipes that aren't insulated under sinks and appliance and near exterior walls.
- Winterize your vehicle by keeping your gas tank at least half full to prevent your fuel line from freezing.
- Avoid driving in icy road conditions. If you get stuck, stay with your car and leave overhead lights on when the engines is running to increase visibility.
- Plan for pets to stay inside and store enough food and water for them.