Investigators: E. Gwinnett St. fire started by space heater - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Investigators: E. Gwinnett St. fire started by space heater

Posted: Updated:
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

Trying to keep warm in the cold can sometimes be dangerous.

Neighbors spotted smoke coming from a house in the 1900 block of E. Gwinnett Street Friday afternoon and found a small fire inside.

Savannah Fire crews got it out quickly, but it did damage to a wall and some furniture.

Investigators say it likely started in the cord of an electric space heater.

Firefighters say you have to be very careful with any kind of heater. Make sure it's in good shape and never place it anywhere close to bedding or curtains or furniture.

Make sure to also check smoke detectors and batteries.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow