Pooler assisted living home evacuated after heater malfunctions - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Assisted living home evacuated after heater malfunctions

Posted: Updated:
POOLER, GA (WTOC) -

The cold weather led to a big scare for Pooler firefighters after a heater malfunctioned and forced the evacuation of an assisted living home overnight. 

Firefighters found smoke in the building when they arrived at the facility on South Rodgers Street near West Chatham Elementary School around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Pooler Fire responded and immediately evacuated all the people living there, which totaled about 30. Due to the cold weather conditions, fire crews were preparing to bus the residents to the fire station to keep warm but were able to quickly find the source of the smoke, which was a burned out heater fan. They were able to isolate the fan and turn it off. 

The residents were allowed back inside after only a few minutes. There were no injuries and the scene was cleared by 4 a.m. Officials say the home has two other heating units so the cold temperatures won't be a factor for residents. 

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow