Savannah man indicted by federal grand jury in bank robberies - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Savannah man indicted in six Savannah bank robberies

Posted: Updated:
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

A Savannah man was indicted last week by a federal grand jury on charges related to six bank robberies in the Savannah area.

Charles Johnson, III, 26, was charged with one count of bank robbery, one count of conspiracy to commit armed bank robbery, five counts of armed bank robbery, two counts of using a firearm during a crime of violence and the unlawful possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

The indictment alleges that Johnson robbed: 

The Wells Fargo at 14009 Abercorn St. on Sept. 25, 2012.

The Savannah Postal Credit Union at 22 Oglethorpe Professional Building on Nov. 8, 2012.

The Heritage Bank at 620 Stephenson Ave. on Nov. 26, 2012.

The First Chatham Bank at 7401 Hodgson Memorial Dr. on Dec. 18, 2012.

The Colony Bank at 7011 Hodgson Memorial Dr. on Jan. 3, 2013.

The Savannah Bank at 100 Chatham Pkwy. on July 11, 2013.

United States Attorney Edward Tarver said in a statement, "The crimes alleged in this indictment are violent acts committed against the entire community.  The harm inflicted extends beyond the financial, to include the fear and trauma experienced by bank employees, customers, and the pain levied on their own families.  The Department of Justice's top priority is to protect the American people.  This Office will continue to work with our law enforcement partners to remove violent offenders from our community."      

Ricky Maxwell, Acting Special Agent in Charge, FBI Atlanta Field Office, said in a statement, "It is criminal investigations such as this that benefit from the FBI's recently formed Safe Streets Violent Crime Task Force based in Savannah.  Agents and investigators assigned to this task force serve as a force multiplier in addressing and apprehending our community's more violent and aggressive offenders."

No initial court appearance has been scheduled at this time.

If convicted on all counts, Johnson faces a mandatory minimum prison sentence of 30 years and up to a maximum sentence of life.

For additional information, please contact First Assistant United States Attorney James D. Durham at 912.201.2547. 

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow