SFES: Space heater blamed West 41st house fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

SFES: Space heater blamed for house fire

Posted: Updated:
A space heater is to blame for a house fire at West 41st Street. (Source: SFES) A space heater is to blame for a house fire at West 41st Street. (Source: SFES)
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

A home on West 41st was damaged late Wednesday morning in a fire on Savannah's west side.

Savannah Fire & Emergency Services firefighters responded just before 11 a.m. to a home on West 41st Street and encountered heavy smoke and flames.

Two residents were home at the time and escaped without injury. The American Red Cross is assisting the residents.

The damage was limited to a front bedroom and a small section of the attic. The rest of the house had heavy smoke and water damage.

A space heater is blamed for starting the fire, according to the SFES.

"Unfortunately, it destroyed that bedroom," said Savannah Fire and Emergency's Mark Keller. "The fire got up into the attic a little bit, not a whole bunch, and it was contained to those two areas. The rest of the house sustained a lot of water damage and heavy smoke damage."

Savannah firefighters urge residents to keep fire safety and prevention in mind when using space heaters and to follow the equipment manufacturer's guidelines.

Other tips from SFES:

Ensure that space heaters are in proper working condition.

Check electrical cords for damage and discard any damaged appliance.

Create a safe zone around space heaters. Always keep flammable and combustible items at least three feet away from heaters. 

Never use extension cords with space heaters and always turn off or unplug space heaters when leaving the room or house.

Never use fuel-powered space heaters inside and enclosed area such as a home or garage. They're a fire hazard and propane and kerosene heaters emit carbon monoxide, which can accumulate rapidly in an enclosed area and have deadly results.

Residents should have working smoke detectors on each level of their home and everyone is encouraged to create and practice an escape plan for their home.

For additional fire safety and prevention tips and information, go to www.savannahfire.org.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow