Space Heater likely cause of Albany fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Space Heater likely cause of Albany fire

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

A space heater is blamed for an afternoon fire that caused extensive damage to a Northwest Albany home.

As we first reported in a breaking news e-mail alert,  Albany firefighters were called to 3427 Plantation Drive just before two.

Flames were shooting out of a front bedroom when they arrived. It took almost an hour for them to bring it under control.

"Once the fire got knocked down, we had to put the fire out. We did a preliminary investigation and found out that the fire was caused by a space heater left on in the bedroom. When the owner came on to the scene he confirmed he probably left a space heater on in the bedroom." said Battalion Chief C.E. Haynes.

Owner Lok Lai Choi returned to find firefighters putting out the fire at his home. He told them he had been using a space heater in his bedroom.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow