Family loses everything in house fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Family loses everything in house fire

Posted: Updated:
BEAUFORT CO., SC (WTOC) -

A Lowcountry family is homeless after a fire destroyed their mobile home in Burton early Sunday morning.

Firefighters say a space heater sitting too close to the couch caused the fire.

"Very sad, this was my kids home," said Viktoria Martinez. "The only home that they had, and to know that they no longer have it is hard."

Firefighters say once the heater ignited the couch the fire tore through the entire living room and kitchen within seconds.

"Things were falling from the ceiling. I just ran back to my room and grabbed my daughter and ran out," said Martinez.

Martinez, her husband and 11-month-old daughter were able to make it out, but her 15-year-old sister and 4-year-old son were still stuck in the house.

"I didn't know if I was going to find him. I didn't know if he was going to make it out, and I didn't know if the firefighters were going to be here in time to even get him out."

Her husband kicked the air conditioner in, and somehow pulled her son out of the window. Her sister was able to get the window open, and she jumped out of it seconds before the fire reached her room.

Firefighters say the smoke detectors is the reason the family survived. When they heard the detectors, the family acted quickly.

"I think we would have been like other places in the country with a fatality if the smoke detectors did not wake them up," said Burton fire investigator, John Perry.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow