Two families displaced by W. 33rd Street house fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Two families displaced by W. 33rd Street house fire

Posted: Updated:
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

Two families have been left without a home Tuesday night, including the family of six who lived in the now waterlogged downstairs of a W. 33rd Street house.

A family of five that lived in the burned out shell of the upstairs unit is also displaced. Firefighters are still trying to figure out how the fire started.

Firefighters were called to the house a little after 7 p.m. Two families occupied the house, one with three young children and another with four.

Both families were home when the fire started and had to run for their lives. Luckily only minor injuries were reported. Two children, ages 16 and four, were taken to Memorial Medical Center for smoke inhalation.

Carolyn Wimes was cooking dinner when the fire broke out.

"We heard our neighbors coming from upstairs, and she's like ‘fire, fire, please get out'," said Wimes. "And we were coming out and we just seen the whole house engulfed in flames. We just thank God that we made it out."

Wimes was just happy she and her family are safe, especially after a fatal fire last week just a few blocks away on W. 35th Street.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow