House fire claims life of DeSoto Parish man - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

House fire claims life of DeSoto Parish man

Posted: Updated:
A house fire in Desoto Parish claimed the life of a man on Saturday. A house fire in Desoto Parish claimed the life of a man on Saturday.
Willie Walton, age 19, in 1980. This is the only photo of Walton, the family says wasn't destroyed. Willie Walton, age 19, in 1980. This is the only photo of Walton, the family says wasn't destroyed.
DESOTO PARISH, LA (KSLA) -

A house fire in Desoto Parish claimed the life of a man on Saturday.

It happened at a home on the 5000 block of Louisiana Highway 84 just before noon.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, heavy smoke and flames were seen pouring from the home.  
2 of the residents, 23-year-old Robyn Walton and her mother Daun Walton, were outside and told firefighters that a third person was still in the house.

After the flames were doused, firefighters found the body of the victim in an area of the living room near the kitchen.  The victim has been identified as Willie Wesley Walton, 52. Daun Walton is devastated over the loss of her husband, "My husband was very loving and kind, generous, he would help anybody in need. He was a very devoted father and husband. He's going to be greatly missed, greatly missed by everyone who knew him," she said. 

"He was just a quiet gentle soul, he touched a lot of people's lives," Daun Walton added. 

A passing motorist tried to rescue Walton before firefighters got to the scene but was unsuccessful. "I don't even know the people's names, I didn't even know where they were coming from,  but everybody was running up towards the house," Walton said.

Walton's daughter reported hearing a popping sound and her father yelling out.  She ran in the direction of her father's voice but was not able to pass through the flames and heavy smoke coming from the kitchen, according to the state fire marshal investigators.

She was able to get out safely through the front door and tried to re-enter the home through a side door to help her father.  She wasn't able to get in because the fire was quickly spreading.

"She's holding up okay, we're going to get help for her also, but she's going to be okay," said Walton.

Investigators with the State Fire Marshal's office determined the fire started on the gas cook top in the kitchen.  The victim was likely trying to cook something in a skillet when the fire started, investigators said.

There were no working smoke alarms in the home.

Copyright 2014 KSLA.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow