Family loses everything from fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Family loses everything from fire

Posted: Updated:
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

A Savannah family sorts through the rubble after their home on Iowa Street was destroyed by a fire Saturday morning. Family members say it was accidently started by a six-year-old.

The family did not want to be identified but they told WTOC the young boy was also the hero who saved the family.

"I was woken up out of my sleep by my grandson," said the boy's grandmother.

The family is still in shock after their house nearly burnt to the ground. Six people were inside at the time; everyone was sleeping except for a six-year-old.

 "I think he was playing with a lighter," said the grandmother.

She says the house must have caught on fire but her grandson was able to wake everyone up just in time.

"[I could see] the flames on the wall," said the grandmother.  

One friend who lives nearby came to the rescue and says he couldn't believe what he saw.

"A mattress got so hot, all you could see was black smoke," said a family friend.

He says a mattress was engulfed in flames that shot right through the roof, even catching some of the trees on fire outside.

Luckily, everyone made it out safely but now the family is trying to sort through what's left.

"There is stuff straddled everywhere," said the grandmother.

She says they just moved in two months ago and now they have to start all over, this time with fewer belongings. Family members say they were able to salvage some personal items and documents.

"We don't have a place to stay, we have lost everything," said the grandmother.

The Red Cross has put them up at a hotel for two nights and helped them with clothes but after that, the family plans to relocate.  

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow