St. Helena woman faces homicide charge in toddler's death - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Woman faces homicide charge in toddler's death

Posted: Updated:
LaQuana Chere Chisolm (Source: BCSO) LaQuana Chere Chisolm (Source: BCSO)

Beaufort County sheriff's investigators are searching for a St. Helena Island woman who is now facing homicide charges in connection with a toddler's death.

LaQuana Chere Chisolm, 26, was arrested early Wednesday morning on one count of unlawful conduct toward a child. She was released on $50,000 bond for her original arrest. 

Phylicia Anaya Garryl, the 2-year-old daughter of Chisolm's boyfriend was admitted to the hospital late Tuesday night with a life-threatening head injury. She died just before noon Thursday.

Investigators are currently searching for Chisolm for re-arrest on the homicide charge.

Phylicia was at her father's Seaside Road home with Chisolm and Chisolm's three children on the evening of March 4, while Garry's father, 23-year-old Derrell Garry was at work.

At about 7:30 p.m., Phylicia was struck in the head with a weighted dumbbell by Chisolm, causing severe head trauma, according to the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office. Chisolm did not seek medical help for Phylicia, nor did Chisolm advise anyone of the girl's injury, according to the sheriff's office.

"Another family member came home and noticed the child was making what she described as strange noises, picked the child up and realized she was unconscious," said Sgt. Robin McIntosh, of the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office.

Phylicia's father, Derrell Garry, was then contacted about his daughter's condition, and came home. It was at that time that he rushed Phylicia to Beaufort Memorial Hospital.

Chisolm first told the hospital staff and responding deputies that Phylicia had been injured when she fell off a bed, but later admitted that she had hit the child in the head with a dumbbell while she was exercising at the home, according to the sheriff's office.

"The injuries were not consistent with that type of accident."

Phylicia was airlifted from Beaufort Memorial to MUSC for her injuries where she remained in critical condition until she died.

"There was a significant delay in medical treatment for the child that could have been a life-saving measure," McIntosh said.

Chisolm is now charged with homicide by child abuse.

According to Beaufort County records, Chisholm has a history of run-ins with the law, getting arrested 7 other times for charges including trespassing, fleeing to evade and marijuana possession.

Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of LaQuana Chere Chisolm is asked to contact either Investigator Sgt J. Gobel at 843.255.3421 or Crimestoppers.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.


Powered by WorldNow