Computer glitch fixed near Georgia Ports Authority - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Georgia Ports resolves another computer glitch

Posted: Updated:

Traffic is back to normal after another computer glitch in less than a week at the Georgia Ports.

The network went down around 8 a.m. on Tuesday and caused some congestion in the area.

Ports officials said they fixed the problem by 9 a.m., and trucks were able to move through the gates smoothly, but on April 16 the same glitch lasted through the morning rush, backing up traffic for miles on Hwy. 25, 307 and even Hwy. 21. The computers then experienced another glitch later that same afternoon.

According to Georgia Ports, it brought in experts from around the country to take care of the problem. Everything was going smoothly until 8 a.m. Tuesday morning, when the network went down again.

Officials were able to get the computers back up and running in about an hour, and the Georgia Ports said they are doing everything to make sure the issue gets fixed for good.

"You know we're working through a computer network issue," said Georgia Ports Authority Executive Director Curtis Foltz. "Not a local issue, but we've got it resolved. But I can assure you that all hands are on deck to get it resolved as quickly as possible."

For residents in the area, like Julian Urdaz who lives just off Hwy. 15, it caused him to be two hours late for class.

"I mean it's just a little bit of a set back. I have to leave earlier. Get the baby situated earlier. It's just kind of an inconvenience and time that I really dont have," said Urdaz. 

And for truck drivers, the traffic continues to cost them. According to drivers like Terrance Henley, federal regulations limit drivers to work 14 hours a day, and spending part of the time in traffic is time and money they can make up.

"When we sit in traffic or are held up by any kind of computer glitch or anything that holds us up in and out of the ports, our clock is still running, but our revenue is not," said Henley.

Port Wentworth Police said they are still monitoring the area in case they have to shut down roads again, but they have not needed to do that as of yet on Tuesday.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.


Powered by WorldNow