Chlorine exposure sends one man to the hospital - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Chlorine exposure sends one man to the hospital

Posted: Updated:
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

Hazmat and emergency crews responded to the Savannah Water Treatment facility on President Street overnight. 

Officials say an employee at the plant was exposed to chlorine. He was working with some of the piping when chlorine gas sprayed on him. They say they take chlorine very seriously and called in Hazmat to assist. 

"Chlorine is an extremely dangerous gas if the body is exposed to it, so all the proper precautions were taken here. Even with the slightest possibility of any type of leak, we don't take any chances," said Michael Metiveir, Battalion Chief, Savannah Fire.

The man was taken to the hospital to be checked out. Crews gave the facility one last safety check and it was the all clear. 

President Street headed into the city was down to one lane for a while, but has since re-open to traffic. 

Officials say this was an isolated incident and there was never any threat to the public.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow