SFES: Loose valve to blame in chlorine exposure incident - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

SFES: Loose valve to blame in chlorine exposure incident

Posted: Updated:
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

A loose valve at a water treatment plant resulted in a worker getting exposed to a mist of chlorine early Thursday morning.

The worker was working with some of the piping when chlorine gas sprayed on him.

Savannah Fire and Emergency Services' Mark Keller said the valve was tightened and should not pose further problems at the Savannah Water Treatment facility on President Street. Hazardous materials crews were called in to assist.  

Keller said the worker was treated at the scene and was taken to Memorial University Medical Center for further examination, but officials did not expect him to suffer any serious injuries or side effects. No other workers were injured.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow