Savannah warehouse fire ruled accidental - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Savannah warehouse fire ruled accidental

Posted: Updated:
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

Savannah Fire investigators have ruled the fire at American Packing and Crating accidental. The office manager said an employee was trying to fill a propane tank when something sparked and the tank exploded.

Environmental crews are cleaning up the runoff from the fire that sparked at a propane tank at American Packing and Crating Warehouse in Savannah.

To help with runoff, firefighters placed booms at the drains, and American Packing and Crating also hired a private cleanup crew to make sure the runoff, which included propane fuel, melted crates and plastic, did not seep into the nearby canals or land.

The company said they did not want to harm any animals or people who fish in the waters. Cleanup is still underway.

The fire also destroyed hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment and materials. 

Office Manager Courtney Adams said after the tank exploded, everything near it began to ignite, which included pallets and about ten containers or trailers.

Most of the containers were empty, but one was loaded with plastic material. They are still waiting for an appraiser to assess the damage, but they believe it may be worth $200,000-300,000.

Now, they're just trying to get back to business.

"I would say we're not back to normal," said Adams. "But we are just trying to go with the flow, trying to keep whatever we can going today. I think everybody was a little shaken up yesterday, but we're trying to just keep it going.

As for the employee who suffered minor burns, he is home with his family and recovering.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow