One displaced by Staley Avenue house fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

One displaced by Staley Avenue house fire

Posted: Updated:

An overloaded extension cord appears to be the cause in a mid-morning house fire that displaced one man in the Tatemville neighborhood.

Crews responded to 620 Staley Avenue around 10 Tuesday morning. 

Investigators said the fire started in the front bedroom and it spread to parts of the attic but it was contained mostly to one side of the house.

Several items did sustain fire damage, and the whole house sustained water and heavy smoke damage.

The 72-year-old resident of the house was not home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported as a result of the incident. The resident declined Red Cross assistance and is making arrangements to stay with nearby family members.

The man who rents this house told WTOC he had left for work about an hour before, and had no idea what might have caused the flames. 

The owner of the house said he will be helping his tenant find a place to live since investigators said it's uninhabitable right now. 

"As far as a total loss- it's not- the building is still standing. You know if you're going to consider a total loss- the only thing left would be a slab," Mark Keller with the Savannah Fire Department said. 

The owner said they will be deciding whether they will rebuild or sell the land to the church next door. The church was not damaged in the fire, but did sustain a little bit of soot on the outside. 

"That's our first step to rebuild," said homeowner Kenneth E. White. "As you know, the church is next door. We offered to sell them the property a long time ago when I first moved our of That's our first step to rebuild," said homeowner Kenneth E. White. "As you know, the church is next door. We offered to sell them the property a long time ago when I first moved out of the residence, and hopefully if they come forward and say they want to purchase it, it will be an extension for their property. But if not, we will rebuild and rent it again."

SFES investigators encourage everyone to utilize extension cords with extreme caution. They remind everyone that extension cords can quickly overheat and are designed for temporary use, not long term or extended use.

Extension cords should never be coiled under furniture and should not be run under carpeting. Appliances, such as refrigerators, air conditioners, stoves washers and dryers, etc. should always be plugged into an appropriate wall outlet. Extension cords and outlet strips should never be used with major appliances.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved. 

Powered by WorldNow