Man sentenced to 25 years with 15 to serve in teen's murder - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Man sentenced to 25 years in Savannah teen's murder


The man accused of gunning down a teenager last year in Savannah was sentenced to 25 years with 15 to serve on Friday. 

Greg Griffin was convicted in April for the murder of 18-year-old Rasheen Alexander. 

Alexander was shot and killed in June 2013 on Eagle Street at Augusta Avenue. Griffin turned himself in, claiming Alexander pulled a gun on him and that he shot Alexander in self-defense.

Alexander's family said on Friday that they wanted to see felony murder charges and a life sentence, but instead Griffin was sentenced to 25 years in prison with 15 to serve.

"I don't think it was a fair sentence," said Natasha Newton. "He should have gotten felony murder because that is what it was. He murdered him. He gunned him down."

Newton refers to herself as Alexander's second mother, along with the rest of the family.

They sat in court in April throughout the proceedings when Griffin was convicted, and then again on Friday when he was sentenced.

A jury found Griffin guilty of shooting and killing Alexander one year ago on Eagle Street and Augusta Avenue. Griffin claimed self defense, but police said Alexander was not found with a weapon and no one witnessed the shooting.

Visiting superior court judge A. Ronnie Rahn, III dismissed the felony murder conviction and sentenced Griffin for voluntary manslaughter and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, a move that prosecutors, the family and the mother of Alexander's four-year-old son strongly objected to.

"I'm a single mother," said Lateshia Robbins. "I have to raise that baby by myself for the rest of his life, and as he is asking me if his father is coming back, it hurts me to my heart because I don't know what to tell him. His father is not coming back. He should have sentenced him to life. He took his life. I don't feel like justice was served here."

Alexander's mother said after the sentencing she felt it was the wrong judge with not enough time. She was very emotional and broke down in tears.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly