Firefighters responded to Stillwell Towers fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Firefighters responded to Stillwell Towers fire


Firefighters responded to a fire at Stillwell Towers on Waters Avenue Tuesday afternoon.

Fire officials said it's a minor fire that was caused by a malfunctioning air conditioner.

The air conditioner was located in apartment 501 of the high rise facility at 5100 Waters Ave. Flames were visible when Savannah firefighters arrived on scene at about 2:15 p.m.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly and limit damage to the immediate area outside the affected apartment.

The fire did cause a sprinkler activation in the apartment and water intrusion occurred into several apartments below where the air conditioner was located.

"She opened the door, and when she opened the door, it was like boom," said Virgie Robinson, the woman who alerted management. "It scared the devil out of all of us."

As a precaution, Savannah firefighters conducted a partial evacuation of the north tower of the building.

All residents living below the seventh floor were evacuated from the building and residents living on the seventh floor and above were sheltered in their apartments. Residents living in the south tower of the building were not affected by the circumstances. 

Nearly 20 residents are being put up in a hotel.

No one was injured and damage was minimal. According to the Housing Authority, the damage to the retirement home was water damage sustained when the fire was put out.

The fire marshal is inspecting each unit on the North end from the fifth floor down to find out whether or not power can be restored.

"Everybody from the sixth floor up should be able to go back in, and everybody on the South tower," said Housing Authority Director Earline Davis.

The American Red Cross was contacted to assist any residents whose apartments were affected by the fire and sprinkler system activation.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly