Lightning strikes home with family inside - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Lightning strikes home with family inside


The Coastal Empire was hit hard by storms on Tuesday and that storm brought excessive lighting. One family actually had lightning hit their home while they were inside.

"I saw all these ambulances and firefighters and I was just running toward my house and I saw my mom out here. I was like what happened?," said Kaleb Hardy, who lives in the home.

Southside fire and EMS were dispatched to a home on Soling Dr. on a report of a house fire and when they got there they discovered it was lighting.

"It was just a pop! Just a really loud pop. Usually, I am pretty laid back and do not react to things but I came running to the front," said Danielle Brame, the home owner. "It was very smokey and it was smelling really bad in here."

There is not much damage from the outside but that is because fire officials say the lightning traveled through the metal chimney and then blew out all the electronics in the home.

"They can be very dangerous especially if someone is holding onto an electrical appliance. It could definitely hurt them," said Asst. Chief Gary Jarriel of Southside Fire.

The Red Cross is helping the family.

"All my life my grandmother told me to turn the TV off when storms like that come through. Sometimes, I listened. Sometimes, I didn't. I will for sure listen from now on," said Brame.

Georgia power offers these tips.

  • Take safe shelter immediately inside a sturdy building, away from windows, doors and electrical appliances.
  • Avoid contact with conductors of electricity, appliances, metal objects and water.
  • Don't shower or bathe during the storm.
  • Turn off air conditioners, since power surges can overload them.
  • Avoid land line telephones and unplug unnecessary electrical appliances. Home wiring, telephone lines and metal pipes conduct electricity.

Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly