Hot Plate Causes House Fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

12/15/04

Hot Plate Causes House Fire

Savannah firefighters say a hot plate being used to heat a bedroom started a house fire in downtown Savannah this morning. That fire left nine people, including five, children homeless.

Savannah fire officials say no one was actually home at the time of the fire, but one of the women living there did tell investigators she'd been using a hot plate to heat the bedroom and wasn't sure whether she turned it off when she left.

The Red Cross is helping the displaced tenants.

Reported by: Jan Smith, jsmith@wtoc.com

 

Powered by Frankly