New Guidelines for Family and Friends during Flu Season at Memorial University Medical Center
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -
To protect our patients, families, friends, and Team Members during flu season, Memorial University Medical Center (MUMC) is modifying its family presence policies.
These changes specifically apply to The Children's Hospital, including the neonatal intensive care units at MUMC. However, individuals who are experiencing cold symptoms should not enter any patient care areas at MUMC.
Beginning December 18, The Children's Hospital, including the neonatal intensive care units, will implement the following guidelines:
* Family and friends over age 18 are welcome in the inpatient pediatric or neonatal areas. Special arrangements may be made in advance for younger siblings. Please talk to your nurse to make these arrangements.
* In general, only children receiving treatment should be brought to MUMC. Please find alternate care for siblings so that they do not have to come to the hospital. This also applies to our Day Surgery area and our Outpatient Center.
* Please have no more than two family members and friends per patient in the room at any time.
* All family members and friends should be healthy. No one with flu-like symptoms will be permitted in patient rooms. Flu-like symptoms include fever, coughing, sneezing, sore throat, or upset stomach.
* Family members and friends should wash their hands thoroughly or use hand sanitizer when entering and exiting a patient's room or patient care area.
* To reduce the spread of influenza, it is recommended that individuals receive a flu vaccine.