WTOC continues to follow the bat problem in Yamacraw Village. Last night, our cameras caught swarms of bats on tape as they flew around and into homes. Yesterday, the Housing Authority of Savannah handed out flyers and fixed broken screens.
It turns out there was a problem with the flyers. Today, after working with health department, the housing authority handed out new flyers warning residents that if a child wakes up with a bat in the room, or one lands on you, you should seek medical attention.
"Some bats are very small with very small teeth," said Dr. Diane Weems with the health department. "It's not like being bit by a cat or dog, and you may not see the teeth marks."
If you think you've been bitten or exposed to a bat, call poison control at 800.222.1222.
Meanwhile the housing authority is still working on the problem.