SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - There will be an opportunity to sign up for health coverage at the Oglethorpe Mall on Saturday.
Humana is having a sign-up event from noon until 7 p.m. Licensed Humana agents will be onsite to provide free advice to help folks choose a health plan that is best for them and their families.
For those who do not sign up in 2016, the tax penalty will rise to two-and-a-half percent of your income. Dec. 15 is the deadline for those who want their healthcare to go into effect starting Jan. 1.
There are some penalties associated with not having health insurance in 2016. They are as follows:
- There are some penalties associated with not having health insurance in 2016. They are as follows:
- Although having health insurance is now mandatory*, 33 million Americans still remain uninsured
- Specifically in Georgia, statistics show uninsured individuals make up nearly 16 percent of the population¹
- Sixty percent of uninsured people nationally still believe that health insurance is unaffordable
- However, 85 percent of those who signed up for health insurance in Georgia qualified for a discount, with average savings of $294 per month
- 6 out of 10 people still don’t know that financial assistance is available
- 8 out of 10 people who have bought a plan on the Marketplace, get a tax credit
- Those who do not sign up in 2016, the penalty will rise to 2.5 percent of income or $695 per adult/$347.50 per child (whichever is more)