Fatal Fire Investigated

A fire which started around 9pm last night claimed a woman's life in southern Bulloch County on Red Hill Church Road between Statesboro and Pembroke.

Relatives of Debbie Lee Jenkins say she was home alone at the time. Her husband was at their son's when the two saw flames coming from Jenkins' home. They called 911, but by the time firefighters arrived it was too late.

Investigators believe the fire started in the kitchen around the stove.

Reported by: Dal Cannady, dcannady@wtoc.com