SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - *New Year's Eve in the Coastal Empire*
1. Tybee Island Fireworks:
- Enjoy one of the largest firework displays from the beach or anywhere on the eastern side of the island, Thursday, Dec. 31 at the stroke of midnight.
2. 3rd Annual "Up the Cup" Countdown on River Street:
- Hosted by the Savannah Waterfront Association, “Up the Cup” is a celebration held to toast to the New Year. It will be Thursday, Dec. 31, from 8 p.m. until midnight. A fireworks display will immediately follow the countdown.
For a compiled list of savannahdreamvacations.com's top picks for downtown Savannah New Year's Eve celebrations, click here.
*New Year's Day in the Coastal Empire*
1. The 8th Annual Pelican Plunge:
- Take an icy dip or stay warm by the fire and watch the festivities at the Pelican Plunge, held on Jan 1 at Hunting Island State Park. There will be a costume contest, steel drum beach music, and refreshments. The plunge is held to benefit the “Discover Carolina” educational programs at Hunting Island. Registration will begin at 11:30 a.m. at the lighthouse, and the plunge will be at 1 p.m. The park admission fee is $5 per-person. Attendees with a parking pass or Friends of Hunting Island decal will get in free.
2. The 16th Annual Tybee Polar Plunge:
- Thousands of island residents and visitors will deck themselves out in their favorite costumes and dive into the Atlantic Ocean as a brisk and refreshing way to welcome the New Year. It will take place at 1 p.m. on Jan.1. Prior to the plunge, you can join in the Gang of Goofs Parade and costume contest at 11 a.m. for a chance to win prizes.
*New Year's Eve in the Lowcountry*
1. Founder's Night Fireworks in Waterfront Park:
- Presented by Beaufort's Regional Chamber of Commerce, the Founder's Night Fireworks will begin at 7 p.m., but the festivities will begin at 5:30 p.m. Attendees will enjoy entertainment, hot chocolate, refreshments, and of course - fireworks. Don't forget your lawn chairs!