West 43rd Street Fire Ruled Accidental - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

05/10/05

West 43rd Street Fire Ruled Accidental

Investigators say the fire that destroyed the West 43rd Street home of an elderly Savannah man yesterday was accidental. Horace Hammons, who will celebrate his 88th birthday next month, lost everything he owned in the fire.

Firefighters say the fire started when Hammons put a pot of water on the stove and went to another part of the house. Fortunately a visitor to a neighbor's house saw the smoke and broke in through a back window to get Hammons out.

"When I got to the kitchen door and opened it like that, up in the ceiling the fire was coming down," Hammons recalled.

Hammons has moved in with his daughter, who says she's glad he is no longer living alone.

Reported by: Ron Wallace, rwallace@wtoc.com

Powered by Frankly