Firefighters responded to a fire on East 45th Street yesterday. The college student who lives in a carriage house there lost her table, but it may have saved her life. Firefighters say the girl fell asleep while burning candles. She woke up when the table they were on collapsed.
Firefighters say never leave burning candles unattended, and make sure you have a working smoke detector.
But there was trouble on the road trying to get to that fire. One of the trucks just pulled out of the station and onto Whitaker Street when a mini-van crossed in front of it. The van driver was slightly hurt.
Firefighters say it's is a reminder to watch and listen for emergency vehicles.
Matt Stanley of the Savannah Fire Department told us, "Certainly look for emergency vehicles when you're entering intersections. Make sure if you hear the sirens that you see where the vehicles are going and where they're coming from, that you don't get yourself in harm's way."
Charges are pending in that accident.
Reported by: WTOC staff