Portable generator likely caused fire at Southside residence - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Portable generator likely caused fire at Southside residence

(Source: Savannah Fire) (Source: Savannah Fire)
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

A portable generator appears to be the cause of Southside Savannah house fire on Tuesday, according to Savannah Fire and Emergency Services.

Crews were sent to the 500 block of Stuart Ct. around 12:30 p.m. and arrived to find smoke and flames at the house.

The fire had climbed up an exterior wall at the back of the house and entered the attic. Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames and limit the fire damage to the attic and rear portions of the house.

The generator was located outside the house as recommended and in line with suggested fire safety tips.

The homeowner was not home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.  Firefighters were able to rescue two of the homeowner’s pet dogs, however, a third dog died despite firefighters’ efforts to revive it.

The incident is under investigation. 

Copyright 2016 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly