The City of Savannah Development Services office would like residents dealing with storm damage to their homes to know that no permit is needed for minor repairs such as the following:
- Replacement of damaged siding
- Repair of downspouts and gutters
- Replacement of miscellaneous asphalt roof shingles
- Replacement and painting of damaged trim boards
- Removing water damaged materials from home
For a complete list of residential projects that do not need a permit, click here.
For major repairs and all work not identified above, a building permit is required and the work must be performed by a professional Georgia licensed residential contractor with the exception of mechanical, electrical and plumbing trades work. Work on these types of systems and related equipment must be performed by a professional Georgia licensed electrical contractor, plumbing contractor, and/or conditioned air contractor (mechanical).
A homeowner may get a permit to perform construction on his/her own residence if the homeowner:
- lives in the residence (the owner cannot self-perform for rental properties);
- has not applied for a permit at another address within two years;
- accepts inherent responsibilities for the work authorized by the approved permit;
- agrees to hire properly licensed contractors (licensed in the state of Georgia) for any work that is not performed by the owner;
- performs work in accordance with all applicable codes and strictly adhere to the inspection schedule; and
- submits a signed and notarized Homeowner's Affidavit.