Savannah City Council: Only license contractors can work on dama - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Savannah City Council: Only license contractors can work on damaged homes

(Source: WTOC) (Source: WTOC)

Thousands of homeowners still have plenty of questions after Hurricane Matthew ripped through Savannah, leaving downed trees and debris all over the place.

Thursday, Savannah City Council met to discuss some of these issues.

First, you don’t need a permit to do minor repairs on your home which includes replacing damaged siding, gutters, shingles, trim boards or getting rid of water damaged materials.

For major repairs, you will need a building permit and the person working on your home has to be a professional contractor that is licensed to work in Georgia.

You can check on the Georgia's Secretary of State website to make sure those working on your home is licensed or you can call the city's development services at 912.651.6530.

If you want to fix issues on your home by yourself you can get a homeowners permit. Regardless of what you choose make sure the person is legitimate and know you can negotiate on when you pay them once services are complete.

If you do run into a price gouger or a fraudulent contractor, you're asked to report them to 311.

Copyright 2016 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly