Fire ruled accidental at Beaufort County Black Chamber of Commer - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Fire ruled accidental at Beaufort County Black Chamber of Commerce

(Source: WTOC) (Source: WTOC)
BEAUFORT CO., SC (WTOC) -

After an investigation, the Beaufort/Port Royal Fire Department chief has stated the fire at the Beaufort County Black Chamber of Commerce was determined to be accidental.

Investigators determined the fire started between the first and second floors, in a space that had no access. Investigators say that is common in modern construction.

"At some point, heat had to be introduced into there. We know that the spot where the fire started, there was electricity running through there. And we believe that at some point, something went wrong, created heat and caused the fire,” said Chief Reece Bertholf.

The fire department says there will still be road closures at the intersection of Duke and Bladen streets as insurance investigations will continue for the days to come.

Copyright 2016 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly