CHATHAM CO., GA (WTOC) - A family of four has been displaced after a fire destroyed their home on the 100 block of Pelican Drive in unincorporated Chatham County on Wednesday.
The fire spread to two adjacent homes, causing significant damage to each.
According to Tybee Island Fire Chief Ashley Fields, no one was injured in the blaze.
When the fire first broke out Wednesday afternoon, flames were just part of the challenges fire crews faced.
"One of the biggest difficulties, this guy had a large amount of ammunition. You heard it popping off and flying down the road. When it's popping, we've been having to deal with that," said Tybee Island Fire Chief Ashley Fields.
In addition to those hazards, a narrow road and no hydrants in the immediate area also presented challenges.
"This is a non-hydrant area. It is unincorporated Chatham County, it doesn't have any hydrants. So, the tanker issues are, you saw how tight the roads are here, getting the tankers in and out has been difficult," said Chief Fields.
"That shocks me. Because right across the street they're going to build a subdivision one day, and that's where they got the water to bring over here," said Matthew Pearson.
Pearson came to Pelican Drive to check on a friend's home and wasn't sure what to expect when he saw a huge plume of black smoke in the distance as he crossed over the Bull River Bridge.
"I just wanted to come out and see if he was OK. I still haven't seen them yet, he's down here somewhere," Pearson said.
Fire officials say everyone made it out of the homes, without serious injury. An inspector from the Georgia Fire Marshal's Office will likely be out here sometime Thursday to look through what remains to try to determine the cost of the fire that damaged or destroyed three homes on Pelican Drive.
Neighbors say the Bazemore family's home was destroyed in the fire. A GoFundMe account has been set up for the family.
A donation site has also been set up for one of the other families whose home was damaged.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family of four and a second family of two that were displaced by Wednesday's fire.