Family looking for answers 2 years after homicide in Savannah - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Family looking for answers 2 years after homicide in Savannah

(Source: WTOC) (Source: WTOC)
(Source: WTOC) (Source: WTOC)
(Source: SCMPD) (Source: SCMPD)
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

The mother of a murder victim made an impassioned plea Tuesday at Savannah-Chatham Metro Police Headquarters.

Ricardo Morris was found dead along LaRoche Avenue two years ago. His vehicle was found abandoned in Garden City. So far, no leads substantial enough for an arrest.

Police say no bit of information is too small and like the family, they're not giving up on this unsolved homicide.

"We have been tirelessly investigating, seeking leads. His family and friends loved him very much, they do not forget him, I don't forget him,” said SCMPD Detective Jacob Schroyer.

On the second anniversary of her son's death, Brenda Johnson-Curtis stepped up to the podium at police headquarters to deliver her plea to the community.

"It's like it was just yesterday. Losing a... I’m not going to use the word 'loss,' because I didn't lose my son. Someone took his life, and they're still walking the streets of Savannah today,” Johnson-Curtis said.

Morris' mother was flanked by family, some who also spoke hoping their words will inspire someone with vital information to come forward.

"To this day, I still ask why? What's the reason I have to go on without a dad? And my sisters and my grandma, that we have to go on without our heart,” said Daquan Smith, the son of Ricardo Morris.

"I made a promise to my brother that I would not shed tears until the killers are brought to justice. And that's when you'll see tears come from my eyes. Until then, I will fight my battles on my knees praying to the Lord,” said Trey Morris, the brother of Ricardo.

The reward - thanks to community and local business donations along with CrimeStoppers’ money - now hovers around $50,000 for any information that leads to an arrest.

After two years of waiting, Morris' family hopes that news comes sooner than later.

"I'm asking, I'm pleading...although it won't bring my child back. No, it won't heal the wounds that are in my heart and in the hearts of my family. But it will take some cowards off the street of Savannah,” Johnson-Curtis said.

Police say since they still consider this an active investigation, they can't go into too many details.

There are several ways you can reach out to investigators.

For the SCMPD Homicide Tipline, call 912.651.6728

To leave a confidential tip, call 912.651.6742 or call CrimeStoppers anonymously at 912.234.2020

Ricardo Morris was one of 53 homicide victims in 2015.

Taking a look back, that year saw the most homicides since 2012. It actually goes back as far as 2007, based on Metro data. That year saw half of 2015's number, with 25 homicides.

In 2016, there were 50. Right now, there's 24 so far in 2017.

Copyright 2017 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly