Woman pulled from burning home on Hodgeville Road succumbs to in - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Woman pulled from burning home on Hodgeville Road succumbs to injuries

(Source: Effingham County Sheriff's Office) (Source: Effingham County Sheriff's Office)
(Source: Effingham County Sheriff's Office) (Source: Effingham County Sheriff's Office)
(Source: Effingham County Sheriff's Office) (Source: Effingham County Sheriff's Office)
(Source: WTOC) (Source: WTOC)
(Source: WTOC) (Source: WTOC)
EFFINGHAM CO., GA (WTOC) -

The Effingham County Sheriff's Office and Effingham Fire responded to a structure fire on Friday afternoon in the 1500 block of Hodgeville Road near Goshen Road.  

The blaze broke out around 4 p.m. ECSO Deputy Sheriff Paul Davis pulled 53-year-old Mary Ellen Gaudette out of the burning home. She was flown to Memorial Health in Savannah, where she was immediately transported to the Joseph M. Still Burn Unit at the Doctor's Hospital in Augusta.

Gaudette suffered from smoke inhalation, as well as burn injuries sustained during the fire. She passed away on Sunday morning.  

Rincon and Effingham County fire crews remained on scene with the Effingham County Sheriff's Office and Effingham Fire.

"I'm actually on the civil division with the sheriff's office and was sorting paper down the road," said Davis. "I just happened to be in the right place at the right time."

He says when he got to the house, the only thing he could see was smoke.

"When I made my way around back, I was able to open the door and noticed the person laying on the ground next to the stove," said Deputy Sheriff Davis.

That's when training and years of experience kicked in.

"It was hard to breathe. I just got down as low as I could and that's when I saw her up against the stove and I was just elbowing my way in, crawled my way in," said Deputy Sheriff Davis.

His quick thinking possibly saved a woman's life. To many, Deputy Davis is a hero. But to him, this was just another day.

"That's my job. To help people," said Deputy Sheriff Davis.

Fire officials say the home is a total loss. No word yet on how the fire started.

Copyright 2017 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly