SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Morris Communications announced Wednesday that it is selling 11 of its daily and non-daily newspaper holdings – including the Savannah Morning News – to GateHouse Media, Inc.
The sale includes a Lubbock, Texas-based commercial printing operation and other publications.
The daily newspapers included in the sale are:
- The Florida Times-Union(Jacksonville)
- The St. Augustine (Fla.) Record
- The Savannah (Ga.) Morning News
- The Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle
- The Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald
- Lubbock (Texas) Avalanche-Journal
- Amarillo (Texas) Globe-News
- The Topeka (Kan.) Capital-Journal
- Log Cabin Democrat (Conway, Ark.)
- Juneau (Alaska) Empire
- Peninsula Clarion (Kenai, Alaska)
- Homer (Alaska) News.
Savannah Morning News Publisher Michael Traynor will remain in his position. He says, from the outside, the change will hardly be noticeable to readers.
"We're a local media company so that's what we do. Our job is to provide timely, accurate and complete information which is local, so we are going to continue doing that no matter who the owner is. We are going to continue doing what we've been doing," Traynor said.
Savannah Morning News has been a family-owned newspaper for more than 57 years.
The sale is expected to be finalized on Oct. 2.