Firefighters Rescue Resident from Burning Home - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

07/27/05

Firefighters Rescue Resident from Burning Home

An elderly Savannah woman was all alone when her home went up in flames this morning. Her house that was not equipped with a smoke detector.

But several firefighters quickly came to her rescue and helped her escape. We caught that rescue on camera.

Fire fighters got to the burning home on West 44th Street just minutes after it caught on fire. They saw quiet a bit of smoke coming from the home. The fire was in the bathroom, and so was the owner, Thelma Hines. Firefighters carried her out to safety.

Fortunately the fire didn't damage the outside of the home. You can barely tell there was a fire there at all. But inside, it's a different story. Everything in the bathroom is melted and charred.

"It was good she was able to get out, because the smoke was in this area," said her son, Stanford Hines.

Thelma's son says the fire started when his mother was trying to heat up some water on a hot plate. "The robe caught on the hot plate and it ignited," he said. "She was able to get the robe off."

But not before it burned her lower back and thighs. "She's doing fairly well, she suffered second-degree burns," Stanford told us.

Thelma's home is still in good shape. The flames just destroyed the bathroom. "If they hadn't arrived at that time, I'm sure the house would have been a total loss."

And for that, Thelma's son credits the firefighters for their quick action.

Thelma is tonight at the Augusta Burn Center for treatment. Her family hopes she will be able to return home soon.

Reported by: Michelle Paynter, mpaynter@wtoc.com

Powered by Frankly